Mom had her test today at the hospital. The doctor said he did not see anything seriously wrong, but he did take biopsies. We should get test results in a week or two. I tend to think that there is nothing new wrong. Her doctor put her back on Reglan which has helped her in the past. The only bad thing about that medication is that it can cause her Parkinson’s tremors to be worse.


I nearly passed out at the hospital. When they took the IV out of Mom’s arm it bled a lot because she takes a blood thinner. I watched as they replaced the gauze because it was saturated and then the blood just poured out of her vein and I got woozy. I had to go sit out in the waiting room instead of staying in recovery with Mom. I just cannot handle heavy flowing blood. Skins, scrapes, and small cuts are okay, but not where copious amounts of blood flow. I even have to turn away when they draw blood from me, this is why I don’t donate blood. I would pass out for sure.


We ate at Cracker Barrel. I had a breakfast plate and Mom had a sandwich meal. We next went to Sam’s Club to pick up her medicine and my two prescriptions. Then we did our grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. I was so glad when we finished with that. I really hate to go to Wal-Mart.


When we got home there was a note on the door saying that my monitor had been left in the barn. I was surprised that UPS would leave something as expensive as a monitor outside. I would have thought they would deliver it tomorrow since we were not home. No harm done, just surprising. I guess they thought with us living in as secluded a spot as we do that it would be okay.


After I put the groceries away I unpacked the monitor. It is just like the one I had, only it is a reconditioned unit. I was not happy that it was reconditioned so I called the warranty company to see if it would be covered like a new one would. They said yes, so I guess it is okay. I unhooked the little spare monitor I had borrowed from Alex and carried it back to his room. Then I hooked the "new" monitor up to my machine. I am glad to have a 19 inch flat panel display that works at a higher resolution again. 800 by 600 just does not cut it anymore and 14 inches is ridiculously small. I admit I am spoiled.


Sunday night I started reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. This is the first of three novels in the Baroque Cycle. I have had it since when it was first published, but just never got around to reading it. I have the other two in the series too, so I will be tied up with reading these extremely long novels for a while. I am really enjoying this one so far. I thought I would get a lot of reading done today while Mom was having her test, but it did not take as long as I was led to expect.


I talked to Alex’s recruiter this evening. Alex is scheduled to enter the Marines on June 6, which is 6/6/06 and I don’t like that date. Call me superstitious if you will, but it just seems like an inauspicious date to go into something already fraught with danger. Anyway, when I signed for him to enter the Marines I was told that he would not be going in until sometime in August. I want him to have a little summer break before he goes in. Hopefully, they will reschedule him.


I have to have a MRI of my brain. This is to check my pituitary gland, evidently my hormone level for prolactin is way out of the normal range. This high reading could be because of my anti-psychotic medication or something could be screwy with my brain… anyway they want to find out. I am not crazy about having the test done, but I suppose there is no way round it. I would be curious to find out if the rest of my brain looks normal. Maybe I can get my psychiatrist to read the test as well. It has been many years since I had a MRI and my understanding is that schizophrenia deteriorates the brain . This is supposed to be visible in a MRI, so I wonder about it.


Well, that is all I have to say right now. I hope all is well with each of you.



Jo Ann

  1. #1 by Shari on February 2, 2006 - 7:47 pm

    Sounds like you had a helluva day… Hopefully everything will turn out to be hunky dory! L8r

  2. #2 by Sugar on February 3, 2006 - 3:31 pm

    Hey Jo Ann – It Kim (K1M8ERLY).  I\’ll be using this space from now on.  Letting you know so you can change it on your list.
    Glad your mom is alright.  That takes some pressure off.  My thougts are with you as you go through all this medical situations. 
    Hope your day is a great one. {{ }}

  3. #3 by Vern on February 3, 2006 - 3:57 pm

    Hi Jo thanks for coming by and the warm wishes.  I am home and hopefully on the mend.  Just being home again was a big relief.  Thanks again for the well wishes….I was really overwhelmed when I returned to see all the comments.  You can\’t imagine how that helps one\’s spirits.

  4. #4 by Jo Ann on February 3, 2006 - 8:09 pm

    SharBear, it was quite a day. I think everything will be okay. Tests and doctors are not my idea of a fun time. I am really pleased with my new monitor despite it being a reconditioned unit. It works well…
    Kimberly, I followed your link to the new space. I will have to change the link on the blog soon. Mom is doing a little better with the medicine she is taking. I really wish she did not have so many health issues, but I guess at 76 it happens. Thank you for the thoughts. Today has been a pretty good day.
    Vern, I am glad you are home and recovering. It is nice to know that the Spaces community cares when one of its own is down. There are some really great people here.
    Jo Ann

  5. #5 by Linda on February 4, 2006 - 8:48 am

    Hi JoAnn:  I have been reading your recent blogs and though you are wanting to write some poetry you seem to be a pretty fluid writer.  I am impressed with how you are able to pour out your feelings.  I know you have been to my space, but have you signed my new guestbook?  If not, please do.  Glad your mom\’s test were okay.  I too find shopping at WalMart a pain.  Its raining hard, an unusual occurance this time of year in Florida, so I am able to visit more spaces.  So far, the issues I had with the spaces updates are okay.  Have a great day.  Hugs,

  6. #6 by Amy on February 4, 2006 - 6:47 pm

    Hi Jo Ann!
    Wow, that was such a busy day, huh?  Anyway, I don\’t mind blood at all, and that\’s lucky for me because I had to check my blood sugars 7 times a day while i was pregnant.
    Don\’t think too much of the date for Alex because it will just drive you crazy.  Just think good thoughts about something you may not have control over. 
    I hope everything else goes well with the tests and all and that would be interesting to see.  My nephew is schizophrenic as is my best friend\’s sister.  My nephew \’seems\’ to be more in control than the sister but he goes through his phases too.
    As far as UPS, I used to work for them and I agree with you in the shock of them leaving such an expensive item, AS WELL as a note telling everyone where it is!  The usual action is to try up to 3 times, leaving a note that you call the number to tell them what to do.  The only thing I can think of is where either the sender or receiver leaves instructions of what to do.
    If it disturbs you, I would call and maybe point it out.  Not necessarily a complaint but maybe asking why did that.
    Talk to you later! 

  7. #7 by Jo Ann on February 5, 2006 - 12:34 am

    Linda, thanks for the compliments on my writing. I just really wish I could write some poetry. I miss that part of my creativiity. I went by your space and signed your guestbook. Thank you for your well wishes for my Mom. She seems a little better the past couple of days. Thank God Wal-Mart is not an everyday trip. I am finding more of the updates are okay. I finally figured out how to get my profile information to work so my picture shows up with my comments. I guess you just have to know your way around the new Spaces.
    Babygirl, seems a lot of my days are busy like that. I just don\’t detail them out in the blog too often. I try to faint whenever there is too much blood. I am glad I don\’t have to test my blood or give myself shots. I would probably get very sick if I had to do something like that to survive. I am trying not to worry too much about Alex going in the Marines, but it is hard as he is my only child. The date thing is just another thing about it that I don\’t like. The tests will probably go okay. I do wish my psychiatrist could look at the MRI. It would be interesting to compare this test to the last MRI I had. I really did not understand that about UPS. Then when the guy came to pick up the return he dropped my old monitor. I cannot believe the carelessness… maybe I just have a bad UPS guy. I know they are usually more careful. Thank you for stopping by.
    Jo Ann

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: